AFI Movie Club Rewind: STAND AND DELIVER
In this video from the AFI Archive, stars Edward James Olmos and Lou Diamond Phillips talk about STAND AND DELIVER.
DID YOU KNOW? STAND AND DELIVER is based on a real-life math teacher, Jaime Escalante, who shared his passion for calculus at Garfield High School in East Los Angeles for nearly 20 years.
DID YOU KNOW? First-time writer and director Ramon Menendez and his fellow UCLA Film School graduate, Tom Musca, secured the film rights to Jaime Escalante’s story for one dollar. When the project was rejected by independent studios, the filmmakers financed STAND AND DELIVER with grants and endowments from institutions, including PBS!
DID YOU KNOW? Edward James Olmos shadowed Jaime Escalante 18 hours a day and lived in the Escalante home in preparation for his role.
DID YOU KNOW? The film was the debut feature of editor Nancy Richardson (SELENA).
DID YOU KNOW? Edward James Olmos was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar® for his role as Jaime Escalante. STAND AND DELIVER also won six out of 10 Independent Spirit Awards, including Best Picture.
Learn more at the AFI Catalog.
The movie doesn’t end at the credits: Discussion Questions
- STAND AND DELIVER takes us inside the classroom of real-life math teacher Jaime Escalante, but the film’s lessons do not conclude at the end of the movie. For over 30 years, STAND AND DELIVER has been screened in schools to inspire appreciation for a notoriously challenging subject: Calculus! Did you learn something new about math from watching the film?
- STAND AND DELIVER represents characters that have not traditionally been given a lot of screen time in Hollywood. How does STAND AND DELIVER help convey their perspectives?
- In STAND AND DELIVER, Jaime Escalante tells his class: “Math is the great equalizer!” What does that mean in the context of the film, and what does it mean to you?
- Did you have a teacher like Jaime Escalante in your life who inspired you to STAND AND DELIVER? How would you tell that story in a film?
- Which characters do you relate to the most?
- If STAND AND DELIVER were made today, do you think the filmmakers would make different choices to reflect our current society? What has changed, and what has stayed the same?
- How would you rate STAND AND DELIVER?
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT AFI MOVIE CLUB?
AFI has created a global, virtual gathering of those who love the movies. Each day’s film is accompanied by fun facts, family-friendly discussion points and material from the AFI Archive to enrich your viewing experience. Learn more in our FAQ section.
Don’t miss out on the latest AFI Movie Club news. Sign up for our newsletter.