AFI Safety Updates
As of May 12, 2023, AFI will no longer require community members to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19. This policy applies to all Fellows, Faculty, Staff, applicants, guests and those participating in AFI Fellow productions (read more below for specific production updates).
We will continue to evaluate and, where appropriate, revise our policies and practices to align with the state and local guidance. Please take a moment to read through the reminders below. As always, we appreciate your continued support in keeping our campus safe and healthy.
- All AFI community members are strongly encouraged to, in consultation with health care professionals, receive vaccinations and boosters – both for COVID-19 and for other illnesses like influenza.
- If you feel unwell, please stay home. Learn more about COVID-19 symptoms.
- Continue to wear high-quality masks if you choose. AFI supports you and appreciates your concern for our shared community.
- Be on the lookout for additional health and safety resources on AFI.com/protect – updates to include information about campus safety, opportunities for health and wellness activities, and up-to-date information from AFI leadership.
Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you – safe and healthy – on campus, at the Silver Theatre and at upcoming AFI events.
AFI Conservatory Productions – Safety Updates
On May 11, 2023, SAG-AFTRA, the DGA, IATSE, Teamsters and the Hollywood Basic Crafts announced the expiration of the COVID-19 Safety Agreement.
The specific changes to the AFI production protocol include the following:
- We no longer require proof of vaccination
- We no longer require a Health Safety Monitor on set
- COVID-19 testing is no longer required
- Masking is required indoors only
These changes are in keeping with the guild directive, except for the requirement to mask indoors. AFI has determined that indoor masking remains a good health and safety practice to ensure that productions can continue on schedule. Please continue to monitor your own health and please do not come to set if you are feeling ill. If you do come to set and are not feeling well, you will be sent home.
We encourage everyone to read the full safety guidance here:
Production teams may establish more stringent guidelines for their set or hire their own Health Safety Monitor, if that is the best practice for the continued success of the production.
Questions or Concerns
If you have any questions or concerns about safety on the AFI Campus or AFI-related activities, please email [email protected].
You may also submit your question or concern via this anonymous form.
If you are a prospective student, please reach out to [email protected]. If you are a current Fellow, please reach out to [email protected]. International Fellows can also reach out to Lena Purtu at [email protected].