The AFI Conservatory offers a limited number of scholarships to incoming and current Fellows based on both financial need and demonstrated talent. Varying scholarship awards are available in each discipline to incoming Fellows with a range of scholarship opportunities accessible to returning Fellows. Scholarship selection is determined by AFI Conservatory Financial Aid and Awards Committee with advisement from select scholarship donors on a case-by-case basis.
Prospective Fellows must authorize the distribution of their application materials for review in order to be considered for all scholarship opportunities. 2014 applicants will receive an authorization form via email shortly after their application is submitted. Each year, separate scholarship applications are distributed to all First Year Fellows for Second Year scholarship eligibility.
Outside scholarships are available for graduate study. Applicants must research these opportunities individually. There are several free, online scholarship search engines to assist in this process. Listed below are some helpful online tools and scholarship opportunities for graduate study:
Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI) Scholarship
- Provided by the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute.
- Provides $5,000 to Latino students with a history of performing public service-oriented activities in their communities and who continue to contribute in the future.
- Deadline is April 16, 2014.
The John L. Dales Scholarship Fund
- Provided by the SAG Foundation for SAG members or their children.
- Application form will become available November 1.
- Deadline March 15, 2014.
Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholarship
- Provided by the Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF).
- Various scholarship awards are given to applicants of Hispanic heritage who have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or at least the equivalent).
- The application is open September 1 through December 15 for the following academic year.
Korean American Scholarship Foundation Scholarship
- Provided by the Korean American Scholarship Foundation.
- Provides funding to Korean American students in higher education.
- Deadline is May 31, 2014.
National Council of Jewish Women, Los Angeles Scholarship Program
- Provides several different scholarship opportunities for women and students who have children.
- You need not be Jewish to apply.
- Applications accepted February 1 through May 1 for June awards.
- Applications accepted August 1 through November 1 for December awards.
The Don & Gee Nicholl Fellowship in Screenwriting
- Provided by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences.
- Up to five $35,000 fellowships are awarded each year.
- Deadline is May 1.
The Fred Rogers Memorial Scholarship
- Provided by The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation.
- Three Scholarships in the amount of 10,000 each will be awarded to qualified applicants.
- Deadline is January 14, 2014.
The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans
- Provides $20,000 maintenance and half tuition (up to $16,000 per year) for thirty selected recipients a year for up to two years of graduate study.
- Candidates must be either holders of alien registration cards (aka 'green cards'), naturalized citizens, or children of two naturalized citizen parents.
- Candidates must be in their final year of undergraduate study, have a bachelor's degree already or be in their first year of graduate study.
- Candidates must not be older than thirty years of age as deadline date.
- Applications available on-line and may be submitted via Online Application System or downloaded and mailed.
- Deadline is November 12.
Charles R. Ullman & Associates Scholarship Essay Contest
- Requires a winning essay on either the marital domestic violence or marital communication topics explained on their website.
- First prize – $3,500
- Second prize – $1,500
- Third prize – iPad, 32GB, Wi-fi
- Fourth prize – iPad Mini, 32GB, Wi-fi
- Deadline is April 15, 2014 by 10:00 p.m.
Worldstudio Foundation Scholarship
- Provided by Worldstudio Foundation.
- For applicants who are pursuing a fine or commercial arts degree. Production design included as well as filmmaking.
- Minority status is a significant factor, but not a requirement while financial need is a requirement.
- Applicants who have yet to enroll must submit proof of acceptance from school of choice.
- Deadline is March 28, 2014.