2012 MEDIA POLICIES
ADVANCE PRESS PASS REQUESTS
An AFI FEST 2012 Press Pass allows the holder access to:
- The Media Center
- Regular screenings (non-galas), panels and official festival venues without a hard ticket, on a space-available basis
The accreditation process for press is now closed. Media who have submitted applications will be notified of their status by October 15.
There is a separate accreditation process for Galas and Special Screenings. Details to be posted once full program is announced.
Anyone requesting a press pass must be currently employed by and/or on editorial assignment for a recognized news organization that provides original news coverage on a regular basis. Non-editorial employees of news organizations (CEOs, publishers, advertising, marketing, public relations or sales staff) are not eligible.
AFI FEST may request additional information, including recent articles published with your byline and a letter of assignment, before considering your request.
AFI FEST reserves the right to deny or revoke a press pass at any time, for any reason.
AFI FEST will plan pre-FEST screenings for select films. A list of these films and screening dates/times will be available in early October. All media wishing to attend must RSVP in advance and bring a photo ID and their business card with them. Representatives of the film will not be present. A list of media that attended will be provided to the filmmaker, studio, distributor or publicist after the screening, upon request.
FILM PUBLICIST CONTACT LIST
A downloadable file of publicity contact information for all films screening at AFI FEST 2012 will be posted as titles are announced.
AFI FEST will have a limited number of screener DVDs available to media before the festival. Select screeners will also be available for viewing in our Media Center during the festival. To request screeners in advance of the festival, contact FESTPUBLICITY@AFI.com.
IMAGES / FILM STILLS
Select AFI FEST images and film stills will be posted online for media access at http://www.flickr.com/photos/afifestpublicity/collections/ as titles are announced. For additional information or materials on specific films, media should contact the filmmaker, studio, distributor or publicist.
The AFI FEST 2012 Media Center is only for media and publicists accredited by AFI FEST. Services for media include:
- PRESS PASS PICK-UP: Media who requested press passes in advance and were approved can pick up their badges in the Media Center. Bring your photo ID and business card
- MEDIA MATERIALS: Limited quantities of media materials from AFI FEST and films screening at the festival will be available in the Media Center
- SCREENER DVD LIBRARY/VIEWING STATIONS: Screener DVDs of select films will be available to be watched by media in private viewing areas in the Media Center. These viewing stations are available on a first-come, first-served basis for a maximum of two hours at a time, per journalist. DVDs cannot be removed from the newsroom
- INTERVIEW SPACE: Limited media interview space is available in the Media Center and can be reserved in half-hour increments by e-mailing FESTPUBLICITY@AFI.com. Interview areas include two seats and an AFI FEST backdrop, suitable for on-camera interviews. Lighting and A/V equipment will not be provided. AFI FEST is not able to assist with technical set up. Interview areas are not soundproof, so ambient noise may be unavoidable
REGULAR SCREENINGS (NON-GALAS) AND PANELS
Anyone with an AFI FEST Press Pass will be admitted to regular screenings (non-galas) and panels without a hard ticket, on a space-available basis. You must wear your official AFI FEST Press Pass. AFI FEST recommends you arrive for regular screenings and panels at least 30 minutes early. You must be seated at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled screening start time. After this, unoccupied seats will be released.
There will be three lines for admission to regular screenings and panels. In order of admission to theaters:
1. Priority Pass Holders → For those who have purchased AFI FEST 2012 passes
2. General Admission → ALL MEDIA SHOULD QUEUE IN THIS LINE
3. Rush Line → Guests without passes or hard tickets
Regardless of whether you have a press pass, you must be specifically approved by the AFI FEST Publicity office to photograph or record inside theaters. Anyone who attempts to photograph or record any portion of a screening, introduction or Q&A without approval will immediately be asked to leave the theater and risks losing their AFI FEST Press Pass for this and subsequent festivals.
Anyone that wishes to be on the red carpet or in the theater at galas must be specifically approved to do so, regardless of whether they have an AFI FEST 2012 Press Pass. Each gala is accredited separately. Space is extremely limited.
RED CARPETS: To request access to red carpet arrivals at galas, e-mail the following information to FESTPUBLICITY@AFI.com by October 23:
- Red carpet event in which you wish to participate
- Name of the organization you will be on assignment for
- Whether you are a still photographer or broadcast journalist
- Size of your crew
If approved, you will be allowed to check in for the red carpet no more than 90 minutes before the scheduled screening start time. You must wear an easily identifiable media badge with your name on it, either from AFI FEST or the organization you are on assignment for.
The red carpet promptly closes 15 minutes before the scheduled screening start time. No interviews or photos will be allowed after this time.
AFI FEST and the film's publicity team reserve the right to rearrange or remove individual media outlets from the red carpet at any time, for any reason.
GALAS: To request a seat in the theater at a gala screening, e-mail the following information to FESTPUBLICITY@AFI.com by October 23:
- Gala screening you wish to attend
- Name of the organization you will be on assignment for
- Whether you wish to attend the after-party
Tickets are for media only. No plus-ones.
If approved, your ticket will be held at Will Call at Grauman's Chinese. You may claim your ticket no more than 90 minutes before the scheduled screening start time. You must present a photo ID. Any tickets not claimed by 30 minutes before the scheduled start time will be released. Any seats not occupied by 15 minutes before the scheduled start time will be released.